State Fair Lemonade
Nothing captures the feeling of summer better than lemonade. A tall icy glass of lemonade, sure hits the spot on these 100 degree days! This recipe is from Emmymade who is one of my favorites to watch and all her recipes are delicious. Her lemonade uses the lemon peels to truly capture that perfect lemony goodness. Enjoy!
- 6 lemons thoroughly washed
- 1-1¼ C. granulated sugar I prefer using 1 cup of sugar.
- 4 C. boiling water
- 1 C. ice plus extra to serve
- Thoroughly wash and dry the outsides of the lemons.
- Using a vegetable peeler, gently peel the zest of the lemons into a large bowl. Try to avoid the bitter white pith beneath the zest.
- Set the peeled lemons aside.
- Pour the sugar over the lemon peels. Stir well and cover and let the mixture rest at least 2 hours or overnight.
- The lemon and sugar mixture should look wet at this point. Pour 4 cups of boiling water over the sugar and lemon peel mixture. Stir to dissolve all of the sugar. Allow cooling to room temperature.
- Strain out the peels from the lemon syrup.
- To the warm syrup at 1 cup of ice.
- Squeeze the juice of all of the lemons (approximately 1 cup of juice) and add it to the now room temperature syrup.
- Chill the lemonade for a couple of hours and serve over plenty of ice.