provided by: hometown living
1 1/2 lbs. lean ground beef
14.5 oz. can diced tomatoes with green chilies
1/2 cup water
1 cup sour cream
1 pkg. taco seasoning
8 to 12 oz. pkg. Colby-Monterey Jack cheese shredded
(use more if you like a lot of cheese)
Corn tortilla chips
• Preheat oven to 350°.
• In a medium skillet over medium heat, brown the ground beef and drain fat.
• Add the diced tomatoes with green chilies, water, sour cream and taco seasoning mix.
• Let simmer for 5-10 minutes.
• In the bottom of a greased 9x13” baking dish, place a layer of tortilla chips.
• Cover with a layer of meat mixture then a layer of cheese.
• Repeat this process until the last layer is cheese.
• Bake for 20 minutes, or until the cheese is bubbly.
NOTE: Taco Casserole is a very simple recipe with limited ingredients. If you want to amp up the flavors and texture of this casserole, add a layer of any or all of the following: drained, whole kernel corn, drained pinto or black beans, sliced olives, diced red & green bell peppers, sliced jalapeno peppers, and green onions after the first layer of cheese is applied.
• A small amount of diced, seeded jalapeno peppers can be added to the meat mixture if you want more heat.
• If you want to increase the heat in the recipe try Pepper Jack cheese for all or part of the cheese.
• Do not overcook the recipe or the casserole can dry out.
• Extra cheese helps prevent the casserole from getting too dry.