Beef Pho with Zucchini Noodles
Apr 30, 2019 01:19PM
recipe courtesy of: jennifer fisher, thefitfork.com | photos provided by beef loving texans
1 lb. top sirloin steak (or strip, flat iron, etc.)
1 lb. zucchini, spiralized
2 t olive oil (not virgin)
1 t sea salt
1 t coarse ground black pepper
32 oz. beef stock from carton
8 oz. purchased beef bone broth (or additional beef stock if not found)
8 oz. water
2 t Hoisin sauce
2 T low-sodium soy sauce
1 T fish sauce
1 small yellow onion, quartered
10 slices fresh ginger, ¼” thick
1t black peppercorns
½ t fennel seeds
½ t coriander seeds
4 whole star anise pieces
½ t whole cloves (or substitute 1/8 t ground)
1 whole cardamom pod (or substitute 1/8 t ground)
1 whole cinnamon stick (or substitute ¼ t ground)
2 C mung bean sprouts
8 oz. baby bella mushrooms, sliced
½ C chopped green onions, whites and greens
1 C fresh cilantro leaves
1 large jalapeno, finely sliced
1/3 C coarsely chopped nuts (cashew, almond, or peanut)
Sriracha and/or Sambal Oelek for passing
1. In large stock pot, add beef stock, bone broth, water, hoisin sauce, soy sauce and fish sauce. Add quartered onion and slices of ginger. Bundle up and tie off peppercorns, fennel seed, coriander seed, star anise, cardamom, cinnamon and cloves in cheesecloth (or, easier yet, place these ingredients in tea diffuser). Add spices to broth mixture and bring to boil over medium-high heat.
2. Lower heat to medium and simmer for 25 minutes.
3. Use slotted spoon to fish out and discard ginger slices and onion. Also, throw away bundled up spices.
4. Add spiralized zucchini and simmer for 5 additional minutes to soften.
5. While broth is simmering, prepare steak. Rub steaks with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Bring grill pan to medium-high heat (about 400°F) and sear steak for 2 minutes on each side, or until outside caramelizing but inside still rare (approximately 120 to 125°F). Remove from heat and let rest for 5 minutes before slicing very thinly across the grain.
6. To serve, fill bowls with broth and zucchini noodle mixture and top with slices of steak. Pour a little more broth on top of beef to help it cook more.
7. Allow guests to top soup with additional ingredients of their choosing including bean sprouts, mushrooms, green onions, cilantro, jalapenos, nuts and Sriracha and/or Sambal Oelek.